Sunday, August 14, 2011

Memoires of a Geisha


This book is on our book club list for next year so I decided to get an early start on it. For those that don't know a Geisha is pretty much an expensive and talented Japanese prostitute. Most are sold into this position at a very young age and trained in the arts of music and dance for years before becoming a geisha. This story follows the life of a geisha. It was very fascinating to read about the culture and Japanese culture. While this book is written about an unpleasant life style it is written very tastefully. I really liked most of the book, but the ending was just sad to me. It seemed like she never found happiness to me, even after a very challenging life. But maybe my idea of happiness and the authors idea of happiness differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment